You can officially call yourself a professional in the constructing sphere if you get a general contractor’s license. Only by getting this document and having insurance coverage you can legally work in the business sphere. If you want to have the right to provide equipment, labor, services, or the materials for the construction you need to have a general contractor’s certificate. Having a professional document sets you apart from the potential competitors in the constructing sphere.
How do you get a general contractor’s license in Kentucky?
Since contractors are responsible for the whole process of construction projects (including providing materials used in construction) you must meet some special requirements to get your legal certificate. Yet, the process of getting this professional document is not so difficult in Kentucky.
The required level to get a general contractor’s license in Kentucky
It is important to know that you can get electrical, HVAC, and plumbing contractor licenses with the help of the Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction. You can get these types of documents only at the state level. In all other cases (including getting a general contractor’s certificate) you must get your document at the city or county level. So, the requirements for getting a general contractor’s license differ depending on the city you live in.
The steps to get a general contractor’s license in Kentucky
If you want to get a professional certificate to work legally in Kentucky, you must meet all the important requirements. You must follow these simple steps:
- Provide the name of your business. Detailed information about your company is compulsory. You must mention the name, partners, your business structure, etc.
- Show a list of any Kentucky Licenses you hold currently.
- Provide proof of general liability insurance with at least $100.000 in coverage. You must provide workers’ compensation insurance as well. This is for employees who can get some injuries or illnesses connected to work. Due to the insurance, your company will pay for the lost work time or medical care.
- Notarize and sign an Exemption Affidavit in case of not having employees.
- Apply for a Surety Bond. In some cases, it will be compulsory. Keep in mind that costs for bonds vary depending on the project.
- Fill in the application form. You can fill in the application form to get your legal document on this page.
- Be ready to pay the fees. The total cost includes both application and licensing fees.
The cost for getting a general contractor’s license in Kentucky
As mentioned above you can get your professional contractor’s certificate at the city or county level. So, it is quite easy to understand that the costs for getting it vary greatly depending on your chosen county. Yet, the cost for application and licensing is approximately $250.
Receiving your license
The Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction issues your professional certificate to legally work in the constructing business sphere.
If you have any questions connected to the process of getting your legal contractor’s certificate, then you can reach the office to the licensing branch by phone number at (502) 573-2002 or via FAX (502) 573-1598. The address of the Department of Housing, Buildings and Construction is 500 Metro Street, First Floor, Frankfort, KY 40601.
The State of Kentucky requires having a legal certificate to work in the constructing business sphere. You can get your legal document at the city or county level. Being a general contractor is a rewarding responsibility. So, if you want to get your general contractor’s license then you must refer to the Kentucky Department of Housing, Buildings, and Construction and apply for it.